Wednesday 24 October 2012

Pakistan role in the region important: Ambassador Olsen



New US ambassador to Pakistan, Richard Olsen
says Pakistan is playing important role in the region.
Ambassador Olsen s message to the people of Pakistan was posted by the US Embassy in Islamabad on the social media Wednesday. "I am honoured to be the new US ambassador to Pakistan. I am honoured to serve in Pakistan because I understand and respect the important role in the region and the world," he stated in the message.
In one portion of the video message, Ambassador Olsen is seen visiting the Newseum. "I am here at the Newseum in Washington, DC where Americans learn about important global relationships such as the one between United States and Pakistan. Like friends everywhere, we may not always agree and we may face challenges, but fundamentally we share many common interests and values," he remarked.
"On a personal note, I am the proud father of two wonderful daughters. I have dreams for my children, as I am sure you do for yours that they be healthy, get good education, love their family and friends and appreciate their culture, beliefs and community," he said in an obvious hint regarding the US desire for a long-term relationship with the people of Pakistan in civilian areas.
"I look forward to hearing about your views and your aspirations. And I want to see as much of the great and hospitable country of Pakistan as I can. I look forward to meeting you and working together to broaden and deepen the ties between our two nations," Ambassador Olsen said who is likely to arrive in Pakistan in the next week or so to take-up his new duties.
Ambassador Olsen has been a career diplomat for more than 30 years, including his tenure as the US ambassador to the United Arab Emirates and as Deputy Ambassador to Afghanistan. He was appointed to the job after the former ambassador, Cameron Munter, decided to step down in May this year.
- Contributed by Awais Saleem, Dunya News correspondent in Washington, DC

No comments:

Post a Comment